Total Pageviews

Wednesday, August 15, 2012

In sickness and in...malaria???

Well we have been in Ghana now for a little over a month and let me tell you, this is the most frustrated, stressed and god knows what else I've felt in the last month, but it's been a definite roller coaster of emotions! There!! 
Let's start with the house we live in. We are actually located in adenta which basically means far the fuck away from anything fun. The house is in these " estates" with the catch phrase "your well planned estates".... Really? Ok so let me get to it, day one when we came to look at the place after we were told the house was done, nothing was really done. Ok let me be fair and say the building was up and that's about it. No electricity, no fixtures, no tank, basically nothing that said move in now. 
That my introduction of how things are done the 'Ghanaian' way lol.
2 weeks follow of me losing my shit and hubby eventually losing his shit, living in a hotel for 2 weeks, screaming at the director, micromanaging, losing my temper again, dealing with shoddy work,  we finally move in. Sigh..... And to this day we are still dealing with it all! I swear those folks who run this place are scam artist. Every other day someone is screaming at them for something they did bad or for taking their money or both!!
On top of it all, hubby got malaria and was down for a few days well really a day, since we caught it so early. We actually went to a hospital in Ghana which was a complete waste of our time.  We were in a waiting room that was semi outdoors, that crammed us all in like we were sardines in a can...not good when the person in the front of you is throwing up and to top it all off the doctor wasn't even there!!! Gah!!! So we left and went to the pharmacy and bought the 3 day course for malaria.
Ohh but we aren't done yet.....I wound up with the flu/ cough thing that's been going around apparently , and every day for about 3 days I either have a fever or cough, but no malaria thank goodness :) The one saving grace is that our son is still healthy as a horse and that we found a reliable net that allows us to talk to our beautiful daughters and family stateside :))
Good things about being here is that I have met one person who's blog I followed as a way to know Ghana somewhat and prepare. He has ended up being a godsend to us :). We have also met a fellow American couple who have been amazing as well.
Hopefully, by this months end I'll have more positive things to say about my experience here. I believe it will get better once we get settled. I'm realistic enough to know that things aren't going to rosy and fun, no matter what I thought before I came here.  Sooo I do look forward to a few small trips we have planned this week and next.  Until next time folks :))

No comments:

Post a Comment